Can't get new RAM to run higher than 1600MHz

Hey guys, I bought a kit of 2x 8GB 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM to replace my 8 GB 1600MHz set.  Can't get it to run higher than 1600MHz.  This is my second kit that's been rated above 1600MHz that doesn't work.  I took the first set back thinking it was just not compatible with my motherboard.  I reset the BIOS, updated the BIOS, loaded the BIOS defaults, tried different slots, ran the Windows 7 memory diagnostic and triple checked the connections.  Still nothing.  The first set was a Patriot Viper 2x 8GB 1866MHz kit.   My system would not want to boot unless I pulled the power and let it sit then try again.  The new Corsair set does not have that problem, only not being able to get anywhere close to 2400MHz.  I can't set the timings manually or enable the Intel extreme memory profile.  Every time I save the BIOS with the new settings, it reboots... shuts off... reboots... shuts off... reboots then says "overclock failed".  I started looking around and found that doing a "direct overclock" of the CPU will fix this?  I only overclock using the multiplier but keeping the stock voltage.  Am I doing something wrong and missing a step, or do I need a new motherboard? Should I pull the power to all the drives save the SSDs to see if it's being under powered?  Thanks for your help!

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

i7 2600k @ stock for now

EVGA GTX 760

Seasonic X-650 Gold

2 SSDs

7 Platter drives

1  DVD RW

7 120mm fans total

1 200mm fan

Almost forgot, I took the new RAM out of my system and tested it in my GF's computer. (AMD 8350, MSI 970 MB, EVGA GTX 560) Reset the BIOS/UEFI, enabled the extreme memory profile, rebooted and it worked with zero issues.  So I know the RAM is good.

You're replacing the 1600 RAM, correct? If you are using it with your old RAM, it will clock down to the lowest speed.

Also, there is a setting where you can set which speed you want it at, think it's in the OC area. IIRC

I'm replacing the 1600MHz RAM I was using with 2400MHz RAM.  I took the old stuff out so there's only the two new 8 gig sticks in there.

Well for a start your motherboard doesn't support 2400MHz, check the specs on the link and it maxes out at 2133MHz

3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

So yes putting it to 2400 will be an Overclock and probably fail, which you've said it does.

Try resetting the BIOS to factory default, which will hopefully just pick up the speed from the RAM (this will at least test it works OK with the mobo.

Then you can try and enable extreme profile and set it to 2133MHz which should be within the motherboards supported range.

Well for a start your motherboard doesn't support 2400MHz, check the specs on the link and it maxes out at 2133MHz

3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

So yes putting it to 2400 will be an Overclock and probably fail, which you've said it does.

Try resetting the BIOS to factory default, which will hopefully just pick up the speed from the RAM (this will at least test it works OK with the mobo.

Then you can try and enable extreme profile and set it to 2133MHz which should be within the motherboards supported range.

I didn't set it at 2400 MHz.  It can't go to 1866 even.  I think I've posted twice now that I can't turn on the Extreme Memory Profile.  It says overclock failed.

I'm not too up to date on overclocking, but your mobo manu says that 1.5v is the maximum, but the memory specs you gave us, matched on NewEgg run at 1.65. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those modules wanting more juice than they're getting?

I'm not too up to date on overclocking, but your mobo manu says that 1.5v is the maximum, but the memory specs you gave us, matched on NewEgg run at 1.65. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those modules wanting more juice than they're getting?

The Patriot RAM was 1.5 volt and that caused a lot of issues.  I can set the voltage manually and it works, I'm posting this with the new RAM in my machine now but at 1600MHz.  Should I get a new MB?  Try a third set of RAM that I have a feeling isn't going to work?

It's pretty clear your current hardware setup doesn't support the memory speed you've purchased.

Big deal, you'd never notice the difference. 

Thanks!  That helps SO MUCH!  /s

Next time you have an issue, don't bother posting as it's no big deal and you'll never notice the difference anyways.  Helps a lot, yeah?

I was stating the obvious which you didn't pick up on.

Answer me this then, why can't I go above 1600MHz no matter the RAM I buy be it 1.5 or 1.65 volts?  I guess nothing will work then, right?  Since you're so smart which RAM should I buy?  Can you help, give any ideas or just be snarky?

I've tried raising the base clock to no avail; same results.  I think the motherboard is bad. There was a bad BIOS flash that happened to me about three years ago but recovered with the dual BIOS feature.  Seems it did more damage than I thought since this is the first issue I've ran into since.  Right now I'm either going to buy a new motherboard so I can use this RAM and not have any issues or take the RAM back and do all this when Skylake-E or whatever is out, even though a Sandy Bridge i7 isn't exactly slow and I'm not being bottlenecked by my CPU.  I just want more RAM that's faster.  Will I notice a difference in the speed?  Doesn't matter.

Sounds like you need to set some more manual options. But as you have a 2600k which is 1066/1333 even running at 1600 is faster then your cpu will work at. Set your CPU multiplier higher and make sure your ram is running in dual channel mode and that will basically be as much as your going to get without alot of time testing ram settings and timings. That time would be better spent OCing the crap out of that GPU and CPU :p

• Like 2

The Patriot RAM was 1.5 volt and that caused a lot of issues.  I can set the voltage manually and it works, I'm posting this with the new RAM in my machine now but at 1600MHz.  Should I get a new MB?  Try a third set of RAM that I have a feeling isn't going to work?

Thanks!  That helps SO MUCH!  /s

Next time you have an issue, don't bother posting as it's no big deal and you'll never notice the difference anyways.  Helps a lot, yeah?

It's people like you, who don't post adequate information, who don't deserve help. I don't do overclocking a whole lot because I find it to be absolutely USELESS unless you're doing some heavy crunching. But that's me. 

After your "/s" comment, I really don't want to help you.

Your motherboard is probably increasing the bus speed while keeping the CPU multiplier the same, which will lead to an overclock failure. Try setting it manually. Set your memory at 2400MHz (with the proper rated timings), then check the CPU multiplier and see if you're overshooting your target CPU clock speed. If it is way too high, lower the multiplier down so the CPU is at the factory clock speeds. Also, manually set your DIMM voltage to 1.65V.

i remember GA boards have some ctrl+F1 'expert' mode where you can then tweak individual settings.

from what it sounds like, you'll have to manually tweak the settings and probably unstrap the memory from the CPU

im a bit rusty on the details - i havent tweaked a BIOS for years now.

Sounds like you need to set some more manual options. But as you have a 2600k which is 1066/1333 even running at 1600 is faster then your cpu will work at. Set your CPU multiplier higher and make sure your ram is running in dual channel mode and that will basically be as much as your going to get without alot of time testing ram settings and timings. That time would be better spent OCing the crap out of that GPU and CPU :p

Well, I've tried manual settings in the BIOS with zero luck.  That's with two totally different kits.  I set the unlocked multiplier at 40 (so 4.0GHz) and there's no issues but no matter what the RAM speed stays the same @1600MHz.

It's people like you, who don't post adequate information, who don't deserve help. I don't do overclocking a whole lot because I find it to be absolutely USELESS unless you're doing some heavy crunching. But that's me. 

I've posted the problem, what I've done so far and my specs.  What more do I need?  You don't want to help... but you posted in here anyways!  Thank you SO MUCH! /s  And FYi, I run BOINC.  100% load almost 24/7 for about 5 years.  Yeah, overclocking helps.

Your motherboard is probably increasing the bus speed while keeping the CPU multiplier the same, which will lead to an overclock failure. Try setting it manually. Set your memory at 2400MHz (with the proper rated timings), then check the CPU multiplier and see if you're overshooting your target CPU clock speed. If it is way too high, lower the multiplier down so the CPU is at the factory clock speeds. Also, manually set your DIMM voltage to 1.65V.

There's nothing I've seen that shows that.  Unless it's increasing the bus speed when I'm only trying to do memory.  Should I under clock my CPU then try it again?

Want to sell the 2400mhz ram so you can buy the right kind? PM me if you are interested...

Thanks, but I already took it back.  I'm going to do more research into this before I waste more of my time and money going back and forth to Fry's.  Really, as of right now, I'm about to bite the bullet and get a new motherboard with the new memory or just stay with 8 gigs @ 1600MHz. 

i remember GA boards have some ctrl+F1 'expert' mode where you can then tweak individual settings.

from what it sounds like, you'll have to manually tweak the settings and probably unstrap the memory from the CPU

im a bit rusty on the details - i havent tweaked a BIOS for years now.

I'll have to give that a shot.  Even though the regular setting are a bit overwhelming.  Thanks for the tip.

I didn't think the memory was tied to the CPU speed.  I leave the base clock at 100 then crank up the CPU multiplier.  When I enable XMP, that's when everything goes to ###### (and when I manually set the timings as well).  Shouldn't XMP unstrap the memory from the CPU for me?  It worked just fine on my GF's rig.  2400MHz with two click in the UEFI.  Booted into Windows 10 with no issues.

Thank you to everyone that helped, or tried to help me out.  I'll  post later when I make up my mind on what to do about this. 

I had the same problem with some g skill 2400 on a gigabyte z68 board GA-z68-ud3p

I used the beta UEFI to overcome the problem.

No problems since and i7 2600k running 4600mhz (Had to be done by the turbo boost frequency settings)  

• Like 1

And I recall when you were new here - ease off!

I think you need to to a bit more research regarding what ram you put into that board.  Specifically spend some time on this particular page

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#sp

and also the memory support list for that motherboard

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3.pdf

If the memory part number isn't listed, what makes you think it is going to work?  If the memory part number isn't listed, what makes you think you will be able to turn on features?  Basically, it is a case of RTM...Read The Manual.  Purchasing things that you think may work or that you want to work does not give them the magic ability of working in any given application of your choosing.

I'm sorry but how exactly did he not post enough information?  He gave specs, scenarios & results, and did his best to detail out everything he had tried... he's here for help and i certainly think he's doing his part.  Your opinion on overclocking is completely irrelevant, it may be worth noting that the performance increase may not be noticeable but anything beyond that you're just wasting forum space.  I will note it seems you at least began by trying to help out...

I was stating the obvious which you didn't pick up on.

It's pretty clear your current hardware setup doesn't support the memory speed you've purchased.

Big deal, you'd never notice the difference. 

Supported and doable are two completely different things, no need to be an ###### about it because you aren't experienced / knowledgeable enough or unwilling to help out...

It's really irritating to see people have the need to post this crap instead of trying to help the guy out... how deflated are your egos?

OP: Sorry to waste more forum space with the above, best of luck to you in getting this configuration to play nice.  If i were in your position i'd start weigh the time spent to resolve to cost of a supported mobo... this may be your excuse to buy more goodies :) .

I had the same problem with some g skill 2400 on a gigabyte z68 board GA-z68-ud3p

I used the beta UEFI to overcome the problem.

No problems since and i7 2600k running 4600mhz (Had to be done by the turbo boost frequency settings)  

I was looking at the beta BIOS.  I'm on F12 right now, I started this whole mess on F10.  The BIOS update you did changed things from the classic BIOS menu to an UEFI shell, right?  Did you use a bootable USB drive or did you upgrade through the @BIOS program from Windows?

And I recall when you were new here - ease off!

Thank you!  :-)

I think you need to to a bit more research regarding what ram you put into that board.  Specifically spend some time on this particular page

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#sp

and also the memory support list for that motherboard

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3.pdf

If the memory part number isn't listed, what makes you think it is going to work?  If the memory part number isn't listed, what makes you think you will be able to turn on features?  Basically, it is a case of RTM...Read The Manual.  Purchasing things that you think may work or that you want to work does not give them the magic ability of working in any given application of your choosing.

I've looked over the list for memory (after the first set didn't work) and there's no spot for 8 gig modules, only 2 and 4.  So going by that list I'd have to populate all 4 slots for 16 gigs.  I'd rather not do that as to keep the stress down on the memory controller.  My SSDs are not on the support list and they work.  ;-)  And it's weird because the manual states that the board wants 1.5V RAM.  1.5V RAM causes major issues with this thing for some reason.  Like... it didn't want to turn on.  So I don't know what's going on there.  It is a Gigabyte board...

I'm sorry but how exactly did he not post enough information?  He gave specs, scenarios & results, and did his best to detail out everything he had tried... he's here for help and i certainly think he's doing his part.  Your opinion on overclocking is completely irrelevant, it may be worth noting that the performance increase may not be noticeable but anything beyond that you're just wasting forum space.  I will note it seems you at least began by trying to help out...

Supported and doable are two completely different things, no need to be an ###### about it because you aren't experienced / knowledgeable enough or unwilling to help out...

It's really irritating to see people have the need to post this crap instead of trying to help the guy out... how deflated are your egos?

OP: Sorry to waste more forum space with the above, best of luck to you in getting this configuration to play nice.  If i were in your position i'd start weigh the time spent to resolve to cost of a supported mobo... this may be your excuse to buy more goodies :) .

It's OK.  I had a long response to what he posted but I deleted it.  I'm not here to argue, just to figure out why my MB is being a ###### horse.  I'm happy to see that I did post enough for anyone willing to help me figure this out.

Looks like your motherboard doesn't support the RAM model you bought. See http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3.pdf

Alternatively, go to the corsair (or another manufacturer website and use their web site tools to find a model and a capacity supported.

I hope the place you bought it from refunds you

Fry's is good about refunds.  I just told them it didn't work with my MB and I couldn't get it higher than 1600MHz..  I just wish I didn't have to drive 20 minutes to get there. 

Update: I bought new RAM since I was at Fry's anyways.  PNY 2133MHz RAM 1.6V 2x 8gig dual channel kit.  I'm about to venture back into the BIOS but I have to say I'm not that optimistic about it.  Another thing I have to think about now is a friend wants me to upgrade his system.  It's about a year old and it's a Haswell i7 quad core with 32 gig of DDR3 1600MHz and the same video card I have; EVGA GTX 760.  He wants to go 6 or 8 core with a better video card.  He games, does Auto CAD, Photoshop and video editing so it's not really a waste of money IMHO.  He told me "I just want the best."  I can't really argue with that.  I also get all his old parts in exchange for doing the upgrade and providing support.  It's not for sure yet though.  It would be funny (and my luck right now) if I put all this time and money into my Sandy Bridge rig just to get Haswell next month.  lol

I'll post here after I've tried new RAM settings.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  It means a lot and I greatly appreciate your time and efforts with this. 

Update2:  I have XMP 1 loaded and running but still only @ 1600MHz.  It's showing the correct voltage/timings and RAM amount but still any higher than 1600MHz is a no-go.  Tried to find the expert settings by hitting some F keys but they're not there.  I'm trying to set the memory speed manually, but I'm not seeing where the CPU and memory are being tied together.  All the frequency settings are correct when I save and exit the BIOS.  CPU multiplier at 34, base clock at 100,  XMP enabled but only 1600MHz.  Am I the only one thinking the MB is bad as it's not getting the settings correct when I save and exit?  After reading and rereading all the posts here and trying everything suggested, I'm at a loss.  I'm about to post pics of the BIOS settings to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I can't take this RAM back as I sold the old sticks with an extra PC I had.  I wouldn't anyways as even at only 1600MHz, I can tell a huge difference in game loading times and Windows loads faster as well.  At this point I'm about to flash the beta BIOS, which I'm very hesitant to do even though it worked for Vomit.  I don't think the words "beta" and "BIOS" belong together.  On the bright side, if anything happens, I have a good excuse to buy the Z77 ASrock I have my eye on.  Off to try again!

the motherboard must be match with RAM memory card.

Have you been to the memory scanner website before?

the motherboard must be match with RAM memory card.

Have you been to the memory scanner website before?

I've looked at the memory list from Gigabyte three times now and there's nothing on 8 gig modules.  Either this motherboard has the worst memory compatibility ever for a Z68 chipset or the list is not up to date.  It states that I can have up to 32 gigs of RAM and that just can't happen with using 4 gig modules because 4 x 4 can't equal 32.  I'm running with the new RAM now with no issues other than the frequency.  That's why I'm under the impression my MB is bad or just not letting me get the settings correct when I save and exit.  Which would be why changing from the classic BIOS to the beta UEFI worked for Vomit.  I could be wrong and it could be I'm overlooking something.  I've changed every memory, CPU and base clock setting with zero luck.  Always overclock failed.  I've even underclocked my CPU to try and boost the memory speed.  Same result.

I've never been to a memory scanner website before.  If you have one that you trust, send a link.