Edge + no extension support = failed.

anybody think that putting out the edge browser with no extension support is a fail?

people have favorite plugins (roboform ect)

ha, roboform is telling people to use IE11 in windows 10

cant use these in edge.

rumor is microsoft will provide support later in the year..

but lack of plugin support stops people from using edge.

bye bye.

• Like 2

no. and i will list the reasons

1. Edge is a replacement for IE. mostly casual users use IE and they don't even know what extensions are
2. Getting the base browser and new engine out took precedence so people can compare and see if it's an improvment
3. Edge unlike IE is an app which can be updated at any time through the app store
4. I'd rather them take their time and get extensions right then rush the support and people be very unhappy about how unstable extensions are.

and no, the only people lack of extension support is stopping are "tech gurus" like you. (don't take this as an insult as i am the same way. need my adblock lol)

Yeah it's definitely a FAIL.

Well I normally use IE and now that I switched to Edge, it's hard getting used to seeing ads and having the odd popup,

whereas with IE, no ads or popups at all, without having to download extensions or modify hosts file.

I definitely dont see any kind of improvement with Edge over IE.

Edge will have (not if) plugin / extension support coming. 
I'm personally using Chrome on Win10, runs perfectly fine.

The argument no (current) plugin support = "stops people" from using edge is only partially correct.
People that need to use sites that require plugins won't be able to run edge at this time, other people will use edge just fine. 

You seem frustrated with edge not supporting extensions at launch?

The average consumer doesn't use extensions unless they are installed by PUPs.  So to determine a browser's success by extension seems a little off.

• Like 3

Plenty of people might use extensions but there's also plenty of people who don't.

Personally I think Edge has bigger problems than extensions, but MS has already said support for it is coming later...you know like a lot of WIndows things  :s check back with Win10 at the end of the year and you might be happier or you know use another browser in the interim.

No, Edge is a great browser and overall improvement. I believe extension support will come and as most people who used IE before are used to not having extensions probably won't miss support for it.

I am disappointed they kept IE in Windows 10 though.

I'm personally not going to use it without adblocking support, as I tend to find waiting for ads to load negates any speed improvement if offers, but for the average, casual user it will be perfectly usable as it is.

No, Edge is a great browser and overall improvement. I believe extension support will come and as most people who used IE before are used to not having extensions probably won't miss support for it.

I am disappointed they kept IE in Windows 10 though.

They had to keep IE in windows 10, too many companies, organisations etc rely on IE specific websites (intranet sites in most cases) for their applications. And before people start saying that they need to update those intranet sites, why? They work and they don't need to care about security since they aren't public websites/applications connected to the internet anyway.

• Like 2

I'm personally not going to use it without adblocking support, as I tend to find waiting for ads to load negates any speed improvement if offers, but for the average, casual user it will be perfectly usable as it is.

So what is stopping you?

http://winaero.com/blog/block-ads-in-microsoft-edge-browser-project-spartan/

I'd love to see extensions for Edge to come as quickly as possible, for now I am using Adguard and that is working well with edge.

I've had a few crashes with edge, but it seems to have stopped now and is working okay; not sure what was happening.

Overall I like the browser, just hope they bring edge to Android, or at least a way of syncing my settings/history/favourites to android :)

no. and i will list the reasons

1. Edge is a replacement for IE. mostly casual users use IE and they don't even know what extensions are
2. Getting the base browser and new engine out took precedence so people can compare and see if it's an improvment
3. Edge unlike IE is an app which can be updated at any time through the app store
4. I'd rather them take their time and get extensions right then rush the support and people be very unhappy about how unstable extensions are.

and no, the only people lack of extension support is stopping are "tech gurus" like you. (don't take this as an insult as i am the same way. need my adblock lol)

Probably one of he best come backs I've ever seen. I'll never use Edge. Simply because it's a Microsoft product. They've shown they aren't capable of making a decent browser. How many versions of Windows did we go through, before we got "edge"? I prefer Chrome or FireFox.

Anyways, nice job Brando!

Probably one of he best come backs I've ever seen. I'll never use Edge. Simply because it's a Microsoft product. They've shown they aren't capable of making a decent browser. How many versions of Windows did we go through, before we got "edge"? I prefer Chrome or FireFox.

Except IE has been a decent browser since 10 and on. 

• Like 2

Except IE has been a decent browser since 10 and on. 

yes it has been a decent browser since IE10 but its name is already far too tarnished
it still had its fair share of issues as well which is another reason they decided to start over

IE went from disliked it, to if I had to use it, it's not bad starting around version 10.
That being said, use the browser you like, I use Chrome for 95% of the stuff myself.

The only thing Microsoft has shown is that they can learn from their mistakes and where quick to start solving the issues with Internet Explorer and catch up to the development gap of 5 years.

Anyway, it's ignorant to call Microsoft out because "they've shown they aren't capable of making a decent browser". Without Microsoft, we now wouldn't have AJAX, favicons, an aweful lot of the "modern" CSS3 and HTML5 capabilities (that are actually from the late '90s based on ideas from Microsoft). Back in the '90s, Internet Explorer was far beyond its time, gradients, box-shadows, XMLHttpRequests, etc., etc... It was all possible in Internet Explorer 5, just implemented differently from the standard that was written 6 to 14 years later. Web Componenents? IE had it back in the '90s as "HTML Components". Or the about-to-become-standard VML. If you really want to blame someone for that IE eventually didn't follow the standards that where made afterwards, you should blame Netscape and Mozilla. Microsoft proposed all their innovations (because that was what they where) as standards to the then young W3C. Their implementations have all been drafts that would have made it until Mozilla started to complain, and if suddenly all your work of the past years becomes irrelevant and you have to start from scratch to redo the implementations, of course it goes wrong then.

The only mistake they made was that they didn't release any new version in 5 years. They've shown to be perfectly capable of making a great browser, they just had the odds against them in the early 2000 when the standards got completely rewritten.

• Like 2

The only thing Microsoft has shown is that they can learn from their mistakes and where quick to start solving the issues with Internet Explorer and catch up to the development gap of 5 years.

Anyway, it's ignorant to call Microsoft out because "they've shown they aren't capable of making a decent browser". Without Microsoft, we now wouldn't have AJAX, favicons, an aweful lot of the "modern" CSS3 and HTML5 capabilities (that are actually from the late '90s based on ideas from Microsoft). Back in the '90s, Internet Explorer was far beyond its time, gradients, box-shadows, XMLHttpRequests, etc., etc... It was all possible in Internet Explorer 5, just implemented differently from the standard that was written 6 to 14 years later. Web Componenents? IE had it back in the '90s as "HTML Components". Or the about-to-become-standard VML. If you really want to blame someone for that IE eventually didn't follow the standards that where made afterwards, you should blame Netscape and Mozilla. Microsoft proposed all their innovations (because that was what they where) as standards to the then young W3C. Their implementations have all been drafts that would have made it until Mozilla started to complain, and if suddenly all your work of the past years becomes irrelevant and you have to start from scratch to redo the implementations, of course it goes wrong then.

The only mistake they made was that they didn't release any new version in 5 years. They've shown to be perfectly capable of making a great browser, they just had the odds against them in the early 2000 when the standards got completely rewritten.

Sure they've made positive additions to the browser world, but I'm saying IE itself is crap. Microsoft has done a lot of wonderful things, XP, 7, and now 10, even Visual Studio and Office. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have Office or VS. But what I'm referring to is the lack of "oh we've screwed this up, maybe we should take a hint from others Or LISTEN to our Customers". Calm yourself, it's not like I stabbed your child. You say IE10/11 are decent browsers, I beg to differ. Basic user, sure they work fine, but for the more advanced, they blow. If you think otherwise, well, thank the Constitution and God for giving us freedom of speech, and opinions.

IE went from disliked it, to if I had to use it, it's not bad starting around version 10.
That being said, use the browser you like, I use Chrome for 95% of the stuff myself.

I use Chrome for everything, I mean, it saves all my information. I absolutely loved it when I switched to a Droid phone, my iPhone refused to let me use saved passwords in Chrome, my Note 4 doesn't. Not to mention, the accessibility for work to home. If I get called about something, I can look it up quicker.

yes it has been a decent browser since IE10 but its name is already far too tarnishedit still had its fair share of issues as well which is another reason they decided to start over

The only thing I ever used IE for, was to re-download Firefox and Chrome. I cringed when I was forced to use it at work.

Wow...  There's so much wrong with what you just said... 

• Like 3

Blocking via the hosts file is an inefficient way to do ad blocking, I've always found it to slow down your connection. I prefer to do it through either Ad Muncher or a browser plugin, gives me more control over what I block and whitelist.

Blocking via the hosts file is an inefficient way to do ad blocking, I've always found it to slow down your connection. I prefer to do it through either Ad Muncher or a browser plugin, gives me more control over what I block and whitelist.

Use adguard then.

There are a few ways to skin this cat.

Can't really afford a sub at the moment. I'm unemployed currently so I have to be judicious about my spending. Does edge not have TPL support?

Can't really afford a sub at the moment. I'm unemployed currently so I have to be judicious about my spending. Does edge not have TPL support?

I don't know, sorry :(

Being unemployed sucks.  Sorry to hear that.

It would seem it does not at the moment, hopefully it won't be long before it does, because Edge does definitely have potential