I just got a new Lenovo Laptop what bloatware can I remove?

Question

14 answers to this question

I did install popcorn time (the only program so far). I don't have a CD to do an install sadly. Doing a factory reset brings me back to this. That's why I need to know what I can uninstall.

Myself, I would download the ISO, you already have a key (assuming 8.1), and clean install, ISO burners online as well...Cheers...:) 

ok, i never owned a lenovo and you probably have more success with googling the names of each individual entry to see what they do...
but i am pretty sure that you can remove anything that starts with LENOVO, except the 2 entries that start with USB. the ones that start with USB sound like drivers you might want to keep just in case.

everything else sounds like JUNK. also you can remove the  2 THINKVANTAGE entries too.  all of this is the stuff you are most likely don't need, or will ever use.
windows is perfectly fine handling the hardware by itself.   most proprietary programs (not drivers) are usually much worse then the programs you actually want to use.

this should not really affect you, since you don't need to use lenovo apps to change settings and use all your hardware, since Windows and other programs you install are perfectly capable to do it, if you need.

if something goes wrong, you can factory reset again, but i am certain it will be OK :D

if you need a password manager, or whatever function this programs do, you will have more luck searching online and picking the most popular option. they are popular for a reason.
i know for a fact, no one should be using Thinkvantage Password Manager when there are LastPass and 1password  programs around.

You sure jimmy? Even Auto Scroll Utility, Dependency Package, Experience Improvement, Power Management Driver, and Multimedia & Core Runtime?

Hello,

From looking at the entries this appears to be a Lenovo ThinkPad, is that correct? 

There really isn't any bloatware or otherwise potentially unwanted software on there, besides the aforementioned Popcorn Time client.

By the way, you can run the ThinkVantage System Update program (filename: TVSU.EXE) to update the various Lenovo programs on the system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

^ LOL Aryeh, there's plenty of stuff in that list which is un-needed. 

Get a Windows ISO, burn it to disc, install, download the drivers from Lenovo support site and you're good to go. 

Be careful what Lenovo stuff you remove.  Some of it has to do with the hot keys on the latpop and FN controls most likely.  Would recommend doing a search for the Lenovo software to see exactly what it does before you remove any of it.  Google/Bing will list exactly what the software is.  Think Advantage stuff can probably go.  Make sure to keep expres scache since that preloads system files for faster boot time.

Hello,

Uhm... no, there isn't. 

The programs which are there are largely third-party device drivers or ThinkPad-specific software to manage the the hardware controlled by those drivers.  There is no "bloatware" in the Windows 10 factory pre-loaded OS images for Lenovo's ThinkPad.  Commonly-accepted features of "bloatware" include:

• provides little or no additional functionality beyond what is currently provided natively via the operating system
  • is a feature-limited "trial" or "special edition"
  • is often time or usage limited, and requires purchasing a license for additional usage after the expiry period
  • is installed because the developer paid the computer manufacturer to pre-load it,
    • may have additional financial arrangements, such as revenue splits from licensing, search engine or advertising injection, etc.

Lenovo has been pretty up-front what will be loaded onto their ThinkPads with Windows 10.  See Lenovo's Promise for a Cleaner, Safer PC for details.

Now, Jared-, you may decide that there's software in the pre-load that you yourself don't utilize or need, and that's fine, but it could be that Mettalknight does need in order to make use of the ThinkPad, and simply suggesting that he blow away the factory pre-load and re-load drivers could leave him without access to things like the ExpressCache software which allows the small internal SSD to cache I/O from its larger HDD, make use of the third-button below the TrackPoint, use multi-touch gestures on the TrackPad, run Lenovo's own diagnostics, check warranty status, or even make use of Microsoft Office, if a license was obtained when the ThinkPad was ordered.

The general rule of thumb when advising someone about their computer is "do no harm."  Don't make changes, reorganize users' files or delete things unless you get their permission first, and maybe not even unless they specifically request it and you've already made (and verified) a backup (or two) of the system, just in case "something" happens.  Otherwise, the user may end up spending an hour or two on the phone with the computer manufacturer's tech support getting the system back into a working state because they got some bad advice from the Internet.

I spend a lot of time tweaking and making changes to my own systems (including ThinkPads) in order to make them easier and more productive to use by me, but I wouldn't dream of making those same kinds of changes to someone else's system(s) because they are going to have a different ideas about how to use their computer(s) and how they like them to behave.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

^ LOL Aryeh, there's plenty of stuff in that list which is un-needed. 

Get a Windows ISO, burn it to disc, install, download the drivers from Lenovo support site and you're good to go. 

I have to agree with goretsky's sentiment and say that what shows up in that list could hardly be considered "bloatware".

And, like others have already mentioned, do a clean install if you are truly concerned about it.

• Like 2

1. Download Microsoft Media Creation Tool from here
2. After the ISO being download, Use Rufus to create GPT based UEFI compatible USB
3. Windows Key is embedded in the UEFI so when you use, it will be not ask for Key and be activated on the install.
4. Download latest Cumulative Update and install it.
4. Download Snappy Driver Installer, download index and use it to update drivers to latest available.

Install other necessary stuff and enjoy bloat free awesomeness.