Windows 10 LTSB 1511 ISO

Does anyone know if/when Microsoft will update the enterprise ISO's to include the 1511 update?  We are looking at upgrading at work, and we might as well jump to 1511 with the LTSB edition.

They might but it doesn't make much sense for them to. LTSB is not meant to receive feature updates and doesn't even contain Edge. It is supposed to be mainly bug fixes which can be delivered by CUs. 

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/understanding-long-term-servicing-branch-and-current-branch-windows-10

Edited by adrynalyne

Then 1511 must not be considered to be in the LTSB. 

Whatever is offered ^^ is what you're getting, else download the 1511 Ent ISO 

SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_1511_64BIT_English_MLF_X20-82288.ISO

Why is your company deploying Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) ?

Current Branch for Business (CBB) seems much more appropriate.

As for your question, Microsoft won't release LTSB with 1511 update. LTSB will only be upgrade with new features every two to three of years.

Why is your company deploying Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) ?

Current Branch for Business (CBB) seems much more appropriate.

As for your question, Microsoft won't release LTSB with 1511 update. LTSB will only be upgrade with new features every two to three of years.

No store, almost no modern apps, no Edge, no Cortana.  We were just looking in to the CBB (since I can uninstall some of that stuff with Powershell and disable the rest with GPO), but update 1511 restores all apps and resets all defaults.  We don't want to have to deal with that every 4 months.

Plus, the fact that those updates are treated as upgrades is a major no-no for us.  I have a 60GB Windows.old folder on my home computer now!  LTSB is just more appropriate. Nobody will use apps, nobody will use the store.

I was thinking that since we are just now rolling out Windows 10, it would be best to get LTSB with 1511. 

Edited by xWhiplash

There's nothing wrong with having half the stuff ^, just disable it by GPO, or even better create a default\mandatory profile and wipe out those icons.

They come back after the 1511 update.  We don't need them at all.  And we don't want the upgrades to happen unless I re-image the systems.  Therefore, LTSB seems to be the logical choice.  Why is LTSB a bad choice?  It does everything we are worried about in Windows 10.  There is absolutely no need for the employees to use those programs.

use disk cleaner to remove the Windows.old...

Every 4-6 months on everybody's computers?  Some of them are using SSDs that only have about 20-30GB free.

Every 4-6 months on everybody's computers?  Some of them are using SSDs that only have about 20-30GB free.

You shouldn't be upgrading any business every 4-6 months. LTSB is a good choice for you. Though if you wanted to, what Ravensky said can be setup as a simple scheduled task. 

You shouldn't be upgrading any business every 4-6 months. LTSB is a good choice for you. Though if you wanted to, what Ravensky said can be setup as a simple scheduled task. 

I would not be upgrading their system, Microsoft will without me rolling it out the way I want to.  Without LTSB, you can only defer upgrades for a few months.  Therefore, they will eventually upgrade on their own. Employee systems should never be upgraded.  They should be clean installed when my team gets to their department.  If update 1511 was just a basic update this would not be an issue

I would not be upgrading their system, Microsoft will without me rolling it out the way I want to.  Without LTSB, you can only defer upgrades for a few months.  Therefore, they will eventually upgrade on their own. Employee systems should never be upgraded.  They should be clean installed when my team gets to their department.  If update 1511 was just a basic update this would not be an issue

You know as well as I do that IT departments can control what is available in terms of WU.  

You know as well as I do that IT departments can control what is available in terms of WU.  

So I can defer upgrades for 10 years without the LTSB version?  I thought that was the only way to have it deferred for 10 years.

From my understanding, it's only Windows 10 Home versions that are unable to control how/when updates are delivered. Other versions can either be controlled by the user or system administrators.

So I can defer upgrades for 10 years without the LTSB version?  I thought that was the only way to have it deferred for 10 years.

Why wouldn't WSUS solve this issue?

Why wouldn't WSUS solve this issue?

That is why I am asking.  When I was looking at the Enterprise editions, they said LTSB is the only one that allows you to defer upgrades for years.  Also, my WSUS isn't even receiving the 1511 upgrade.  There are some systems that won't get imaged or shouldn't be "upgraded" for years.  So there is no reason having a mixed environment since no systems NEED upgraded until we decide to upgrade them (as in re-image them).  What is the reason for using Enterprise over Enterprise LTSB?  Nobody uses or wants the modern apps, Cortana, or any of those features. 

That is why I am asking.  When I was looking at the Enterprise editions, they said LTSB is the only one that allows you to defer upgrades for years.  Also, my WSUS isn't even receiving the 1511 upgrade.  There are some systems that won't get imaged or shouldn't be "upgraded" for years.  So there is no reason having a mixed environment since no systems NEED upgraded until we decide to upgrade them (as in re-image them).  What is the reason for using Enterprise over Enterprise LTSB?  Nobody uses or wants the modern apps, Cortana, or any of those features. 

speak for yourself. Also, we use some of them at work. 

No store, almost no modern apps, no Edge, no Cortana.  We were just looking in to the CBB (since I can uninstall some of that stuff with Powershell and disable the rest with GPO), but update 1511 restores all apps and resets all defaults.  We don't want to have to deal with that every 4 months.

Plus, the fact that those updates are treated as upgrades is a major no-no for us.  I have a 60GB Windows.old folder on my home computer now!  LTSB is just more appropriate. Nobody will use apps, nobody will use the store.

I was thinking that since we are just now rolling out Windows 10, it would be best to get LTSB with 1511. 

In that case, why would you even want the 1511 update?

1511 update is a feature release, but you don't want those features anyway.

I would wait for Windows 10.1 aka redstone. There won't be a LTSB with TH2 is my guess. Never go with a .0 with no service packs. Even so I am disturbed from reports that TH2 actually will re-set your system. That can't be good at work to have users wait 2 hours and have things change and graphics drivers borking systems etc. WIth LTSB I believe the max MS gives you is 12 months.

What I would want is a service pack. Yes MS is terrified of the next XP but doing rapid updates makes Windows 7 the new XP and they do not see this?

• Like 1

I would wait for Windows 10.1 aka redstone. There won't be a LTSB with TH2 is my guess. Never go with a .0 with no service packs. Even so I am disturbed from reports that TH2 actually will re-set your system. That can't be good at work to have users wait 2 hours and have things change and graphics drivers borking systems etc. WIth LTSB I believe the max MS gives you is 12 months.

There probably won't be LTSB with Redstone either. LTSB is a snapshot of CBB and is only updated every 2 or 3 years.

What I would want is a service pack. Yes MS is terrified of the next XP but doing rapid updates makes Windows 7 the new XP and they do not see this?

What are you thinking about? If companies only want to upgrade Windows once every 2 or 3 years, they will be on Windows 10 LTSB.

In that case, why would you even want the 1511 update?

1511 update is a feature release, but you don't want those features anyway.

Since we don't have Windows 10 yet, I was just wondering if it was possible to include that update right away.

Yeah I can block WU in the firewall even... no communicato no upgrade =)  Not to mention group policy objects in the AD...