Java or php?

Question

I'm planning to learn either java or php. Which language do you think will give better employment opportunity? 

10 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I would say PHP, java is on it way out being honest.

Java is on its way out? LOL.

• Like 3

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Java is on its way out? LOL.

How many have JRE installed now since there are calls for people to remove it from their computers?

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

How many have JRE installed now since there are calls for people to remove it from their computers?

I guess you have never heard of server side Java, or Android, or the various micro implementations in appliances and devices.;)

19 minutes ago, Angel78 said:

I'm planning to learn either java or php. Which language do you think will give better employment opportunity? 

Learn both.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I guess you have never heard of server side Java, or Android, or the various micro implementations in appliances and devices.;)

But it still the same java though right? JSP can still be full of security issues just like JRE? Regardless, what being used more right now?

Just now, Danielx64 said:

But it still the same java though right? JSP can still be full of security issues just like JRE? Regardless, what being used more right now?

Nope, not the same as JRE.

http://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2909894/application-development/java-back-at-1-in-language-popularity-assessment.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3019005/java/java-loses-no-luster-in-popularity-index.html

Java is one of the most used languages out there. This coming from a primarily c# developer.

• Like 2

It really depends what project you are working on. Java is really not necessary for most web-based systems... for example, this forum and most everything else on the internet... Java is mostly used for actual applications, especially in technical fields (hard sciences, economics, etc). 

But I would still recommend Java over PHP because PHP is derivative and simpler. Learning Java will help you better in the long term.

9 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

It really depends what project you are working on. Java is really not necessary for most web-based systems... for example, this forum and most everything else on the internet... Java is mostly used for actual applications, especially in technical fields (hard sciences, economics, etc). 

But I would still recommend Java over PHP because PHP is derivative and simpler. Learning Java will help you better in the long term.

You are leaving out JSP, Spring, etc. Server side java is still out there for web apps.

http://tomcat.apache.org/

Two completely different languages with two completely different audiences. Did you actually mean 'Java' or did you mean 'JavaScript'? Not trying to be rude you understand, but i run a web development forum where new members constantly mis-call JavaScript, 'Java'.

7 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Two completely different languages with two completely different audiences. Did you actually mean 'Java' or did you mean 'JavaScript'? Not trying to be rude you understand, but i run a web development forum where new members constantly mis-call JavaScript, 'Java'.

I was thinking the same thing.

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Java is still used significantly in the enterprise space, even for web based applications, particularly through the Spring framework.  There is little or no client side Java unless you go to Android or embedded development.

I wouldn't learn PHP, unless you are interested in modifying existing PHP based applications.  Even as a casual developer, I would learn either Python or Ruby (probably Python as Ruby is also on the decline).  Javascript on Node.js is also pretty cool but isn't used out there very much (yet).

Go for Java as syntactically it's similar to other languages along with a lot of it's concepts. You can then use this as a stepping stone to other languages.

PHP will earn you less in the long run. The tooling around it isn't as good. Oh, and you'll earn less. Have a look at some of the job sites local to your area to see the difference in the quantity of roles and the remuneration they are offering.

Java. You can build more things with it than with PHP. And if you outgrow the language you can still use something like Scala on the JVM while still taking advantage of all the Java libraries.

2 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Yes but it used mainly for big enterprise systems, in fact I don't see many sites that use JSP.

So if someone wants to make money in this business, why would you not mention that to them and instead say Java is on its way out?

9 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

I don't, removed it long time ago.

Java. Still hugely popular, syntax and concepts are readily transferrable to many other programming languages and platforms. Not so much with PHP. PHP is a terrible tool and no one who knows anything else than PHP would use PHP for anything.

Mind you, you'll certainly find employment with both, but would rather be employed doing Java or PHP?

12 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Yes but it used mainly for big enterprise systems, in fact I don't see many sites that use JSP.

They use Java on the back end, they can serve anything they want on the front end, doesn't have to be JSP. Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites

Learn JavaScript and NodeJs. You can also go ahead and do some PHP, which has gotten great over the years. 

But if you asked me, learn Node. PHP, ASP.NET, Django, and many other things use Node.js in their environment in one way or another (for working with JavaScript files).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gary7 said:

I don't, removed it long time ago.

That must mean Java is on its way out ;)

Both Java and PHP will offer good employment, but Java will offer you higher paying employment as time goes on since those normally supporting Java have much deeper pockets, especially with the additional resources that are required to run Java server side vs PHP.  Only downside is that Java has a much steeper learning curve as you need to become very good at learning the language, APIs, frameworks, design patterns, JIT compiler optimization and more.  Where to get going with PHP it is as easy as spending at least 2 hours every night for 5 years and you can become very fluent in the language and many frameworks since it faster to get up and going with PHP.

I would recommend that you learn both which will strengthen your employment and income capabilities in the long run, plus you will really enjoy not having to write so much Java boiler plate code.  Though, learning Java using the proper resources will give you a wonderful perspective on how to properly visualize very large object oriented or functional programs faster and more efficiently.  You will quickly enjoy the large feature set of Java and find yourself checking the PHP release notes wondering when they will be adding feature x that has been in Java for several years to help make your PHP apps easier to develop.

Java, for all it's flaws it's a much better language than PHP, with much better support (Although don't limit yourself to a single language, you'll also find Python/Ruby/JS/etc. on the server side).

The PHP syntax is pretty simple, and if you've ever used C/C#/JS/Java (heh) you'll pick it up fairly quickly, the rest of the time is trying to work out framework/runtime issues.

10 hours ago, Andre S. said:

PHP is a terrible tool and no one who knows anything else than PHP would use PHP for anything.

So very very true.

10 hours ago, Andre S. said:

Java. Still hugely popular, syntax and concepts are readily transferrable to many other programming languages and platforms. Not so much with PHP. PHP is a terrible tool and no one who knows anything else than PHP would use PHP for anything.

Mind you, you'll certainly find employment with both, but would rather be employed doing Java or PHP?

What a dimwitted view, let's just completely disregard that it runs one of the most popular and frequently visited sites on the internet... Sure PHP has it's problems but java isn't a perfect language either. I can spend 20 seconds making a quick script to do something in PHP which would take an hour to make in java, then there's java's ridiculous overhead: it is painfully slow and the memory usage is still a joke.

• Like 2