Why a No prompt to thwart the format of Recovery Image?

Hello Folks!

Please refer to the enclosed description & help suggest whether 'Recovery Image' or 'Recovery Drive' can really be formatted? Why is there a No prompt to forewarn a User from doing so?

Can a device be still restored to the Factory defaults in case the Recovery drive is done away with? If so, how?

Thanks.

clipimage.jpg

The recovery image is used to replace Windows that was initially installed to your computer back to a clean, formatted primary partition that is used when you recovery your damaged computer to its factory state. If you wipe clean this recovery partition, you will lose this ability. It is a locked partition that was created by your computer's manufacturer.

It is not a good idea to wipe clean this recovery partition because your emergency recovery is gone.

4 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

It is not a good idea to wipe clean this recovery partition because your emergency recovery is gone.

Hi Barney T.

In such a case, an eye-opener Prompt is very much anticipated! Isn't it so?

What if one has already got rid of the Recovery image? What else options are left for him/her during apocalypse? :-)

Please suggest.

^ I suppose, but the partition is usually locked so no prompt is needed. Nothing can be done to it. If the recovery image is gone, you're out of luck and will need to use a Windows CD/DVD  or other installation media to re-install Windows. If you have a valid Windows key, you can use that once Windows is re-installed.

4 hours ago, Barney T. said:

but the partition is usually locked so no prompt is needed. Nothing can be done to it.

If that is so...how I have been able to get rid of the same through its Format? 

Nevertheless, you think the - "System Recovery" option would still work?..or will it pose some Error?

clipimage.jpg

5 hours ago, Barney T. said:

will need to use a Windows CD/DVD  or other installation media to re-install Windows. If you have a valid Windows key, you can use that once Windows is re-installed.

My HP branded AIO desktop PC came along with 'Recovery partition' only ...& no separate Installation DVD were offered alongside. Therefore, the question of having a Valid License key stands null & void.

further inputs please.... 

12 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

My HP branded AIO desktop PC came along with 'Recovery partition' only ...& no separate Installation DVD were offered alongside. Therefore, the question of having a Valid License key stands null & void.

further inputs please.... 

Your computer has a valid Windows license. What OS did it come with?

Windows 7 - You can use a retail copy and input the license key and it will activate. This is generally under the battery or a sticker on the machine

Windows 8 - The license is built into the UEFI and will auto activate once you install Windows. You can request an ISO from microsoft for Windows 8

Windows 10 - Digital license which is tied to your hardware ID. Reinstall Windows 10 using the tools microsoft provides and it will automatically activate

F12 option will not work because you have removed the recovery image. That image is what F12 will initiate to reinstall.

That partition should NOT be visible. Something isn't as it should be. Go to this path:

Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management

and then click on Disk Management in the left sidebar. Now right-click on the Recovery partition and then click "Change drive letter and paths...". In the opened window click the Remove button, yes, and then ok.

Now it won't be shown in explorer and cannot be "accidentally" formatted by user.

1 minute ago, eddman said:

That partition should NOT be visible. Something isn't as it should be. Go to this path:

Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management

and then click on Disk Management in the left sidebar. Now right-click on the Recovery partition and then click "Change drive letter and paths...". In the opened window click the Remove button, yes, and then ok.

Now it won't be shown in explorer and cannot be "accidentally" formatted by user.

Actually, some OEMs do make it visible, usually with a lock image on it.

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Actually, some OEMs do make it visible, usually with a lock image on it.

I did not know that. That's not a good practice. Still, if that partition was unlocked on his computer, then something was not right then.

1 hour ago, eddman said:

I did not know that. That's not a good practice. Still, if that partition was unlocked on his computer, then something was not right then.

You would be surprised. I have seen that partition on OEM computers dating back to Windows 7, rarely were they hidden anymore. Usually locked, but still visible.

it sometimes becomes visible after an upgrade. 

Anyway the reason for the warning on the system drive is because it literally cannot be formatted because it's the system drive.  

other drives can all be formatted even if they contain your lives work, which is more important than some recovery files that can be replaced. 

4 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Windows 8 - The license is built into the UEFI and will auto activate once you install Windows. You can request an ISO from microsoft for Windows 8

Hello Circaflex!

Please guide further in this regard. i.e. How to formally put up a request with Microsoft to relinquish an ISO for Windows 8?

2 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hello Circaflex!

Please guide further in this regard. i.e. How to formally put up a request with Microsoft to relinquish an ISO for Windows 8?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

When you do get around to reinstalling Windows 8, setup might ask for a product key which you can just select Skip and once you boot to the desktop, Windows should grab the information from UEFI and auto-activate. Setup might even grab this information during install, it has been a while since I have reinstalled Windows 8.

4 hours ago, eddman said:

I have already formatted my Recovery Drive out of my free will! ..& it didn't invoke even a single prompt to resist me from doing so!

Do you think that such arrangements (provision of Recovery Drive) also prevent the installation of alternate OS sometimes?

I have made Multiple attempts to install Win XP using different .ISO & failed every single time!

I wish to make my PC experience - 'Feather Light' & thus is smitten over Win XP. Can you help?

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

When you do get around to reinstalling Windows 8, setup might ask for a product key which you can just select Skip and once you boot to the desktop, Windows should grab the information from UEFI and auto-activate. Setup might even grab this information during install, it has been a while since I have reinstalled Windows 8.

The posted URL takes me to 8.1 destination. My factory-defaults  came along with Win 8 (only). So will it work?

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Yup, 8.1 was a free upgrade from 8.

Many thanks for a 'Bull's eye'! 

Lastly, is it also somehow possible to procure the 'legacy' versions of Windows OS ...such as a Win XP setup & a Brand-new license?

Iam ready to shell out a speck of fortune for Win XP!

My Pentium IV powered Compaq PC used to run much Superior with Win XP on it in comparison to the Modern-day configuration & Win 8 over it!

11 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

I have already formatted my Recovery Drive out of my free will! ..& it didn't invoke even a single prompt to resist me from doing so!

Do you think that such arrangements (provision of Recovery Drive) also prevent the installation of alternate OS sometimes?

I have made Multiple attempts to install Win XP using different .ISO & failed every single time!

I wish to make my PC experience - 'Feather Light' & thus is smitten over Win XP. Can you help?

umm XP is actually heavier to run than 7 and 10...

1 minute ago, saurabhdua said:

Many thanks for a 'Bull's eye'! 

Lastly, is it also somehow possible to procure the 'legacy' versions of Windows OS ...such as a Win XP setup & a Brand-new license?

Iam ready to shell out a speck of fortune for Win XP!

My Pentium IV powered Compaq PC used to run much Superior with Win XP on it in comparison to the Modern-day configuration & Win 8 over it!

I am sure you can find copies online to purchase, however I am unsure how legitimate said websites would be. You will also be hard-pressed to get a new system to run XP. Much of the newer hardware does not have support for XP and you'd be left with an unusable system.

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

And it's an end of life security risk. It was a great OS though, and great for gaming on. If you do need XP, run it in a VM, much safer.

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

XP were 'Feather Light' as it didn't use to hive Multiple processes for a Single running application!

In the later versions....'Task Manager' reveal umpteen about the frivolity of Multiple background tasks!

For instance, 6 background tasks associated to Google Chrome, & alike! Such wasn't the case with XP ! 

3 minutes ago, Tidosho said:

If you do need XP, run it in a VM, much safer.

My System would go "Breathless" upon installing & running VM subsequently! :-)

I tried 'Andy' a few days ago & it went for a major stall!....similar to the one that results in Plane crashing down! :-)

No VM for my machine please... :-)

7 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

XP were 'Feather Light' as it didn't use to hive Multiple processes for a Single running application!

In the later versions....'Task Manager' reveal umpteen about the frivolity of Multiple background tasks!

For instance, 6 background tasks associated to Google Chrome, & alike! Such wasn't the case with XP ! 

You're confusing processes with how heavy it is to run. 

and also this is a phenomena mostly exclusive to web browser, and they do the same on XP, if they're even supported. 

7 and 10 however uses less ram, runs on less hardware faster, and uses hardware acceleration to faster and smoother operation and less strain on the cpu.