UK Xbox sales up 1000 percent, S sales outstrip PS4 Slim sales by 361 percent.

MICROSOFT / 29 SEP 2016

UK XBOX SALES UP 1000 PERCENT FOLLOWING XBOX ONE S LAUNCH

Xbox One S launch sales outstrip PS4 Slim sales by 361 percent.

BY VIXXIIE Xbox One sales have increased by almost 1000 percent in the UK since Microsoft released the new 500GB and 1TB Xbox One S models.

According to MCV, Microsoft's share of the hardware market for the week ending September 24 has jumped to 71 percent - a year-on-year increase of 76 percent, and a week-on-week rise of a significant 989 percent.

While Sony's new PlayStation 4 Slim is also now available, sales were down 66 percent year-on-year, with the PlayStation 4 taking just 19 percent of hardware sales last week - despite a week-on-week lift of 22 percent. According to the report, a comparison of both the Xbox One S and PlayStation 4 Slim launch weeks puts Microsoft's sales ahead by 361 percent.

In a statement, Xbox UK marketing director, Harvey Eagle said: "It’s great to see how popular both the Xbox One S and the FIFA 17 Xbox One S consoles are with fans, not just over the last week but since the Xbox One S was released in August. 4K video streaming and 4K UHD Blu-ray have been extremely well received by gamers and critics and we believe there is no better value right now for those looking to upgrade their console."

More information at ign.

Glad to see how much Microsoft has turned it around this generation since the failed launch and listening to their gamers. Hopefully they can continue to progress towards the Scorpio. 

Yeah,  not including 4K Blu-ray in Ps4 slim and even in PS4 Pro, was a terrible decision by Sony.

If I was not a PC gamer, I would get Xbox One S in a second (I did buy it at launch but returned due to not many games I have not already played on PC)

I really don't get the thinking behind the PS4 slim, not with the Pro coming so soon, anyone would be crazy to buy a slim now, new gamers looking to jump into PS should just wait and buy the PS4 Pro for $100 more, it's like a dead end device at this point.  Had the PS4 Pro been on the way 6-8 months later, then sure, like the XB1 S before the scorpio comes, but really they could've just reduced the costs of the default designed PS4 for now, and then when the Pro hit just stop OG PS4 production and let them run out of stock at $299.

By the time the OG PS4 did run out of stock and production ended, the PS4 Pro could probably see it's first price cut down to $349, I bet.   There was no need for a PS4 Slim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Yeah,  not including 4K Blu-ray in Ps4 slim and even in PS4 Pro, was a terrible decision by Sony.

If I was not a PC gamer, I would get Xbox One S in a second (I did buy it at launch but returned due to not many games I have not already played on PC)

I get the downfall on the PS4 slim side - but why such an increase in sales? 

I honestly don't get the point of the S when you consider that Scorpio is coming next year. If I was thinking I wouldn't mind picking up an Xbox, I'd certainly be waiting for some more concrete details on Scorpio before I took the plunge on an S.

• Like 1

amazon

6 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I honestly don't get the point of the S when you consider that Scorpio is coming next year. If I was thinking I wouldn't mind picking up an Xbox, I'd certainly be waiting for some more concrete details on Scorpio before I took the plunge on an S.

amazon, tesco and I think a few others had £50 off a new Xbox one S with fifa 17 included, I suspect a lot of parents jumped at that price for Christmas £199 and stick it away for Christmas.

Edit: oh and it's probably the cheapest 4k disc player on the market by some distance no? just like the PS3 was for blurays back in the day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

There's so much talk about how powerful the scorpio is going to be, and now I'm even hearing that maybe MS is going to push the specs higher than what they talked about at E3, that people are expecting it to cost a lot.   I don't buy it personally, I bet it costs $499 tops, and heck, MS might even aim for $399, people need to remember it's a year out and while it'll smoke the consoles out and coming out soon, I doubt it'll be as expensive as they think.

Lots of people can't wait to, and at $299, and less, I think you can find it for $249 with a game and stuff, why not?  Enjoy it now and then a year from now you'll have saved the needed $400-$500 to buy a Scorpio and move the S into a 2nd room.  With compatibility not being an issue I figure, hey, why not?   And 4k bluray looks great!

arrrg sorry being nitpicky, but 1000% no such dammed thing! its sales of Xbox one has increased ten fold.

100% is 100%, total, complete, you dont get such a thing!, its like stating infinity plus 1.. 

Im not having a pop at the OP its in the original article. 

I know of a few mates who have decied to jump on it, just because its hit that magic number £149. tbh Id consider one for that.....

6 minutes ago, Mando said:

arrrg sorry being nitpicky, but 1000% no such dammed thing! its sales of Xbox one has increased ten fold.

100% is 100%, total, complete, you dont get such a thing!, its like stating infinity plus 1.. 

Im not having a pop at the OP its in the original article. 

I know of a few mates who have decied to jump on it, just because its hit that magic number kr1,570.95 (£149.). tbh Id consider one for that.....

math disagrees with you. 

Carl one week bought 5 apples. 

Next week carl bough 20 apples. 

Carl increased the amount of apples bought more than 100%. so while yes, 100% is full saturation, in math unlike liquids, you can in fact go over full saturation and use higher numbers than 100% in certain situations like sales umbers over time and similar. 

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

math disagrees with you. 

Carl one week bought 5 apples. 

Next week carl bough 20 apples. 

Carl increased the amount of apples bought more than 100%. so while yes, 100% is full saturation, in math unlike liquids, you can in fact go over full saturation and use higher numbers than 100% in certain situations like sales umbers over time and similar. 

erm no it doesnt.

Maths state "percent" means "out of one hundred" so no, 100% is 100% it doesnt go any higher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/percentagesrev1.shtml

'Percent' means 'out of 100'. If 90 per cent of the population owns a mobile phone, this means 90 out of every 100 people have one. The symbol '%' means per cent.

Finding percentages

A percentage is a fraction of 100.

30% (30 in each 100) as a fraction is 30/100

30% as a decimal is 0.3.

^ see maths. percent is abbreviated for percentury or per 100 buddy.

7 minutes ago, Mando said:

erm no it doesnt.

Maths state "percent" means "out of one hundred" so no, 100% is 100% it doesnt go any higher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/percentagesrev1.shtml

'Percent' means 'out of 100'. If 90 per cent of the population owns a mobile phone, this means 90 out of every 100 people have one. The symbol '%' means per cent.

Finding percentages

A percentage is a fraction of 100.

30% (30 in each 100) as a fraction is 30/100

30% as a decimal is 0.3.

^ see maths. percent is abbreviated for percentury or per 100 buddy.

none, of that means you can't go over a 100%

https://www.google.no/search?client=opera&q=can+you+have+more+than+100%+in+math&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Can you get more than 100 percent?

People often say that percentages greater than 100 make no sense because you can't have more than all of something. This is simply silly and mathematically ignorant. A percentage is just a ratio between two numbers.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58166.html

basically you're confusing percentage as used in how full something is, and used in ratios of change in stuff like sales, one can't be over 100 the other can. 

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

none, of that means you can't go over a 100%

https://www.google.no/search?client=opera&q=can+you+have+more+than+100%+in+math&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58166.html

basically you're confusing percentage as used in how full something is, and used in ratios of change in stuff like sales, one can't be over 100 the other can. 

it doesnt make it right mate, percent means out of 100. (from per  (Latin), centum (hundred in Latin)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/percent

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/percent

anyhoos, its irrelevent :) 

3 hours ago, Cnónna said:

amazon, tesco and I think a few others had £50 off a new Xbox one S with fifa 17 included, I suspect a lot of parents jumped at that price for Christmas £199 and stick it away for Christmas.

Edit: oh and it's probably the cheapest 4k disc player on the market by some distance no? just like the PS3 was for blurays back in the day.

This. They've been selling the console for peanuts to gain ground probably since 2014. I'm sure we'll see similar news with PS4 clearance sales too, although it's not exactly a 1:1 comparison.

48 minutes ago, Mando said:

it doesnt make it right mate, percent means out of 100. (from per  (Latin), centum (hundred in Latin)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/percent

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/percent

anyhoos, its irrelevent :) 

and again, doesn't mean you can't go over, it's MATH. out of 100 just means the fractions it's based off, you can still have 120 out of a 100. 

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

and again, doesn't mean you can't go over, it's MATH. out of 100 just means the fractions it's based off, you can still have 120 out of a 100. 

lol lets agree to disagree buddy :) its still an impressive figure :) looking like MS long game with consoles may be paying off finally. 

14 hours ago, George P said:

There's so much talk about how powerful the scorpio is going to be, and now I'm even hearing that maybe MS is going to push the specs higher than what they talked about at E3, that people are expecting it to cost a lot.   I don't buy it personally, I bet it costs $499 tops, and heck, MS might even aim for $399, people need to remember it's a year out and while it'll smoke the consoles out and coming out soon, I doubt it'll be as expensive as they think.

Lots of people can't wait to, and at $299, and less, I think you can find it for $249 with a game and stuff, why not?  Enjoy it now and then a year from now you'll have saved the needed $400-$500 to buy a Scorpio and move the S into a 2nd room.  With compatibility not being an issue I figure, hey, why not?   And 4k bluray looks great!

TBH I'm one of those that think Scorpio is going to cost $600 so I get that side of things, however maybe I'm a unique case but I don't have endless amounts of throwaway money - it's a reason I console game because I can't afford to keep up, so the idea that this amount of people would happily spend $300 on a console and perhaps even consider even another $300 the year later on something that just does the same thing but slightly better is beyond me. Heck, I'm a day one buyer and I'm still struggling to justify the cost of a new console in my own mind thanks to being spoilt by the 360's lifespan.

However again I'm perhaps a unique case (I don't believe so) in that I don't have a TV capable of HDR or 4K so either one today would be a complete waste of money. I'm looking at a 4K TV that I desperately want but the conversation of wanting to drop £900 on a TV doesn't usually go very far when we're about to redecorate the bathroom and the Kitchen is due to follow shortly :p

20 minutes ago, George P said:

You guys have went way off topic you know.

Agreed - if you want to have a discussion about math and percentages I'd suggest a new topic.

• Like 1

In statistics, when you see numbers as absurdly large or biased such as these figures, it means there is a problem with your sample and/or methodology, or at the very least there is an undefined influence on the results that can't be dismissed. This is well, well beyond standard deviation, so I would be hesitant to accept them.

6 minutes ago, Skiver said:

TBH I'm one of those that think Scorpio is going to cost $600 so I get that side of things, however maybe I'm a unique case but I don't have endless amounts of throwaway money - it's a reason I console game because I can't afford to keep up, so the idea that this amount of people would happily spend $300 on a console and perhaps even consider even another $300 the year later on something that just does the same thing but slightly better is beyond me. Heck, I'm a day one buyer and I'm still struggling to justify the cost of a new console in my own mind thanks to being spoilt by the 360's lifespan.

However again I'm perhaps a unique case (I don't believe so) in that I don't have a TV capable of HDR or 4K so either one today would be a complete waste of money. I'm looking at a 4K TV that I desperately want but the conversation of wanting to drop £900 on a TV doesn't usually go very far when we're about to redecorate the bathroom and the Kitchen is due to follow shortly :p

It really comes down to the type of buyer, remember the S starts at $299 but has sales already making it $249 with a game.     If gamers think the Scorpio is going to cost $600 or more then they'll just get the S and wait for Scorpio to drop in price.   I don't think it'll cost that much, MS saw the problems with the original XB1 at $499, though it was also the weaker of the two at the time so that was two strikes against it.    Scorpio being so much more powerful could justify being $200 more than a PS4 Pro but still, I don't think they'd want to be so much more, and we're talking a year from now,  so we'll see how it goes down.

There's also a group of buyers out there that game but don't follow the tech news as much, probably don't even know what the Scorpio is.    My money is on it being $500 tops, a repeat of the XB1 pricing but with another 2TB internal hdd, and maybe a 2nd option with 1TB hdd for a bit less.   We've got a year to speculate. 

53 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Agreed - if you want to have a discussion about math and percentages I'd suggest a new topic.

Spener just went out and said Scorpio will be priced at standard console prices and not be expensive. 

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-phil-spencer-project-scorpio

“So you can see the price of the S today. When we designed both of these, which we kind of designed it in parallel. We thought about the price performance of what we wanted to hit with the Scorpio, relative to what we were going to be able to do with the S. So that we would have a good price continuum, so people wouldn’t look at these two things as so disconnected because of the price delta,” Spencer explains. “So I think you will feel like it’s a premium product, a premium console. And not something, anything more than that. So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen. We didn’t design it that way. That said, the opening price point for the Xbox One S, and the different hard drive sizes that is a critical part of this whole product. When I think about it as a product line, you should expect the pricing to kind of be in line with that.”

Just now, HawkMan said:

Spener just went out and said Scorpio will be priced at standard console prices and not be expensive. 

Well, I picked up my 360 for around £270 at near enough launch (If not a day one thin) and my XB1 cost me £430 (i think) on day one so that doesn't really say much. 

I think George will be right, it will be around the same price as the XB1 launched at.

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Interesting, again that supports the above - I'd love for them to do some sort of upgrade program where it's got a fairly nice discount if you trade in your XB1/XB1S for one of these, it would certainly make it an easier justification.

I haven't bought any of my consoles on day 1, I always wait a few months for a few more games to come out and then jump in.  Like the XB1, it came out in November but I didn't buy mine till February.   I expect to do the same with the Scorpio, if not a little later since I just finished my new PC, got my 1070 in there, so I'll be gaming on the PC for a bit more.  If the Scorpio is November again, then I'll probably swing out and buy one in March or April.